What’s Google’s new ranking criterion? How has Geico outsmarted the allure of the “skip” button on pre-roll video? The answer to these questions and more in this week’s newsletter.
New & Noteworthy:
- Google Ranking Pages by Mobile-Friendliness
- Instagram Ads are Now Clickable
- How to Make Pre-Roll Ads (Basically) Unskippable
- Smartphone Ownership Hits Historic High
Google Ranking Pages by Mobile-Friendliness
Google’s latest SEO update? The addition of another criterion for page rankings: mobile-friendliness. Read more at Google Webmaster Central’s Blog.
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU? Emphasizing the importance of mobile in your SEO strategy will help increase your site rank in search results.
Instagram Ads are Now Clickable
Finally! Instagram now allows advertisers to do the previously impossible: place a clickable link at the end of sponsored content. There is one caveat, however. Lean more at TechCrunch.
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU? Clickable Instagram ads make it possible to drive traffic to your website, instead of just creating brand awareness.
How to Make Pre-Roll Ads (Basically) Unskippable
Looking to solve the “skip” button problem on pre-roll video ads? Gieco has found success by squeezing the message into the first five seconds and having fun with the remaining time. Watch them all on AdWeek.
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU? If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. Be realistic about how your audience views your media and adapt accordingly.
Smartphone Ownership Hits Historic High
Millennial moms in the U.S. now own more smartphones than laptops and desktop computers, marking a 25 percent uptick since 2012. Get the details from the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU? Mothers have always been a primary target audience for brands, and it’s now clear that the best way to reach them is via mobile ads.