Getting competitive paid search data just got a little bit easier. Google has released a new Auction Insights report which allows users to see which competitors’ ads are showing up for the keywords that you are bidding on. Along with knowing exactly who you are competing with, you also get insights into 5 competitive metrics:
- Impression share: the percentage of total impressions the ads have received, based on your targeting settings
- Average position: the average rank of your ad, and how it compares to that of your competitors
- Overlap rate: how often your competitor’s ads show up along side yours for the given keyword
- Position above rate: how often your competitor’s ads showed above yours for the given keyword
- Top of page percent: how often your ads appear at the top of the page (the top ad block position)
Currently, the report is only available for single keywords, and only for Google Search (not currently available for any campaigns running on Google Display Network). However, I would be willing to venture that this data will at some point soon be available as well. As of, right now, the report is rolling out to everyone over the next few days, and data is only available for high traffic keywords. The report can be useful to find new competitors and to make sure that you are competing with the right ones. It can also be a good indicator of how your keyword strategy is performing. What this report won’t give you is any match type, bidding or settings data from competitors. Google states that this report provides aggregate data of what you could have gathered by doing basic searches on Google Search.